Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Using immersive reader to have text read to you
Using dictation to support writing
How to change the background colour
Oasis’ ethos is based on an overarching theme of Inclusion; welcoming, encouraging and enabling all to achieve their best whatever the challenges may be in doing so.
In line with the latest Special Educational Needs (SEN) Code of Practice 2014, schools and academies are supported by government and local education authorities to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of students with Disabilities and Special Educational Needs being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.
The four broad ‘areas of need’ are defined as:
- Communication and Interaction
- Cognition and Learning
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
Sensory and Physical Needs
Inclusion and wellbeing is paramount in our Academy and we believe this will create a friendly, family and life long learning atmosphere.
To ensure that we stay inclusive Oasis Academy Nunsthorpe have the following in place:
- A restorative practice ethos
- An active Student Council, allowing all students to have a voice
- Academy inclusion team
- A strong and comprehensive pastoral team that will cater for all students' needs, emotionally and physically
- The Academy has a consistent approach to behaviour
- We have 1:1 support staff to ensure educational development at a rapid pace
Our SENDCo (Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator) at Oasis Nunsthorpe is Kate Calvert. She has dedicated time from teaching to ensure support is given to all students across the Academy and to meet with you, should you have any concerns.
AIM: We aim to identify any Special Educational need or disability as easy as possible in order to give your child the equal opportunities they deserve.
In order for us to achieve our goals, and your child success, we have put in place the following as a matter of course:
- Conversations with parents to ensure everyone has a voice
- Liaison with previous schools and settings
- Foundation Stage Assessments
- Conversations with staff - Staff Development
- Assessments ( Teacher and External)
- Liaison with external agencies
SEND - Useful Website Links:
- Dyslexia: http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/
- Dyspraxia: http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/
- Speech and Language difficulties: http://www.ican.org.uk/
- Hearing impaired: http://www.voicefordeafkids.com/
- Visually impaired: https://www.actionforblindpeople.org.uk
- Autism: http://www.asdfriendly.org/
- OCL Equality: https://www.oasiscommunitylearning.org/about-us/vision-and-values/celebrating-equality
- SEND Local Offer https://sendlocaloffer.nelincs.gov.uk/parent-carer-weekly-update-21-27-june/